THE BEACHES PATH HAS BEEN CONQUERED!
Today was a busy day on the Beaches Path – we met a handful of through-hikers and dozens of day hikers in addition to the 6th grade class from St. Bernard’s Elementary and hundreds of high schoolers from Bay Roberts Amalgamated.
It was a busy day for us too, since this was the first time we had a special guest hiking along with us: Father Jocelyn, visiting us from Québec for the week. Jocelyn is Amélie’s godfather, and he wanted to see “what this hiking thing is all about.”
We set out a little late on the trail, and the sun was already beating down hard when we got to Herring Cove, the spot where Amélie had quit on our last hike here. Amélie was very happy to see all of the kids hiking, and a very nice lady from St. John’s helped out the fairies by hiding treats to encourage her.
The last kilometre (between Breaking Point and Camel Beach) was slow, since Amélie had started to peter out. But after a long break and tons of water, her godfather promised her ice cream once we were out of the woods. The discussion about the choice of ice cream occupied her for a full half-hour. Jocelyn kept asking what kind she wanted, suggesting all different colours and varieties. Strawberry? Raspberry? Orange? No – “CHOCOLAT!!!” was her only answer. “CRÈME GLACÉE AU CHO-CO-LAT!!!” Amélie literally ran to where we’d left our “flag” the last time we were on the trail.
We finished the trail, and made our way to The Rental Hutch.
Amélie got strawberry ice cream.
She was beaming.
- 0.15km (Our house to Alder Hill)
- 1km (Alder Hill to Bears Cove Inn)
- 1.65km (Bears Cove Inn to Tobin Memorial)
- 1.5km (Tobin Memorial to Otter Cove)
- 1km (Otter Cove to Upper Red Cove)
- 0.6km (Upper Red Cove to South Head)
- 4km (South Head to Bay Bulls Trailhead parking lot)
- 3km (Bay Bulls Trailhead to Captain Wayne’s Excursions)
- 5.8km (Captain Wayne’s Excursions to the Bull Head Light)
- 7.2km (Fort Amherst to The Battery)
- 1.3km (Our house to Harrigan’s Grocery & Convenience)
- 3.5km (Harrigan’s Convenience to Camel Cove Beach)
- 1.8km (Mobile Beach to Herring Cove)
- 500m (Deadman’s Bay Trailhead to Lookout Point)
- 4km (Herring Cove to Camel Cove Beach)
- Amélie’s total progress: 36.5km/316km
- Distance walked by the adults today: 6km
- Total distance walked by the adults: 70.7km
One thought on “Amelie Hikes the East Coast Trail – Day 15”
Yay Amelie! Such a special time.