TINKER’S POINT PATH #1: Mobile Beach to Cape Canine
Tinker’s Point Path is a fun hike with (mostly) gentle slopes and tons of stepping stones and walkways over marshy ground. Since it’s so flat, and since there’s a significant proportion of the trail that takes the form of old well-worn cart paths, it’s a breeze for even our short-legged hiker.
There was no question about the identity of today’s “Song of the Day,” since Amélie belted it out over and over and over again:
Stepping over stepping stones, 1, 2, 3.
Stepping over stepping stones, come with me.
The river’s very fast and the river’s very wide,
And we’re stepping over stepping stones,
To reach the other side!
Once we got to Cape Canine, much of the trail was exposed to the Western wind and it got very cold (the wind from the water was much cooler than the inland temperature). Despite the fact that Amélie still had tons of energy left in the tank, we decided to play it safe and head back.
- 0.15km (Our house to Alder Hill)
- 1km (Alder Hill to Bears Cove Inn)
- 1.65km (Bears Cove Inn to Tobin Memorial)
- 1.5km (Tobin Memorial to Otter Cove)
- 1km (Otter Cove to Upper Red Cove)
- 0.6km (Upper Red Cove to South Head)
- 4km (South Head to Bay Bulls Trailhead parking lot)
- 3km (Bay Bulls Trailhead to Captain Wayne’s Excursions)
- 5.8km (Captain Wayne’s Excursions to the Bull Head Light)
- 7.2km (Fort Amherst to The Battery)
- 1.3km (Our house to Harrigan’s Grocery & Convenience)
- 3.5km (Harrigan’s Convenience to Camel Cove Beach)
- 1.8km (Mobile Beach to Herring Cove)
- 500m (Deadman’s Bay Trailhead to Lookout Point)
- 4km (Herring Cove to Camel Cove Beach)
- 2.5km (Mobile Beach to Cape Canine)
- Amélie’s total progress: 39km/316km
- Distance walked by the adults today: 5km
- Total distance walked by the adults: 75.7km