THE BULL HEAD LIGHT
Dressed for the pending rain, we set out to start the Spout Path from Captain Wayne’s. We’re unsure about how far we’ll get before the rain begins. Évangéline is fast asleep by the time we get to the trailhead, and Amélie is excited about splashing in the puddles. We meet a few people who are coming back from the lighthouse, they stop to say “hi” to Amélie, impressed that she’s hiking it herself.
We were impressed too, since Amélie just kept on walking and walking and walking. Amazingly, she made it all the way to The Pulpit before showing any signs of wanting to take a break. Five minutes later, she was fresh as a daisy again, eager to make it to the lighthouse.
She was excited when we first saw the Bull Head Light in the distance. Lighthouses are magical places in so many of her books!
Séb and I were excited to see that the lighthouse’s door was open so that we could have shelter – it was starting to rain.
Amélie eagerly climbed the staircase (with her dad right behind her!), right up to the top. She looked at the light, wondering out loud why it wasn’t on, and kept insisting on trying to find the light switch. I doubt she believed us when we told her that it was the sun that turned it on and off.
The drizzle stopped twenty minutes after it started, and the hike back to the car was painless, with Amélie stuffed in the carrier, happily chomping on crackers.
- 0.15km (Our house to Alder Hill)
- 1km (Alder Hill to Bears Cove Inn)
- 1.65km (Bears Cove Inn to Tobin Memorial)
- 1.5km (Tobin Memorial to Otter Cove)
- 1km (Otter Cove to Upper Red Cove)
- 0.6km (Upper Red Cove to South Head)
- 4km (South Head to Bay Bulls Trailhead parking lot)
- 3km (Bay Bulls Trailhead to Captain Wayne’s Excursions)
- TODAY: 5.8km (Captain Wayne’s Excursions to the Bull Head Light)
- Amélie’s total progress: 18.7km/316km
- Distance walked by the adults today: 9.4km
- Total distance walked by the adults: 43.5km
- Total time invested today: 7 hours (includes prep, driving/walking to hike’s starting point, total time on the trail, and the drive/walk back home).
- Total time invested in the effort: 31.5 hours