ALDER HILL TO BEARS COVE INN
We leave the house at 11am, with Séb carrying Amélie up to Alder Hill Road, where we’d called it quits the day before. We manage to get to the house nicknamed “The Tolt” before Amélie asks Séb to pick her up again. This time, though, Séb explains that he’ll pick her up if she makes it to Lower Pond Beach. She happily walks the rest of the way, looking forward to playing with the rocks.
After a few minutes on the beach, we manage to coax Amélie to walk a little way further by asking her if she wants to “see the picture of the baby Polar Bear” on the sign at Bears Cove Inn. That’s as far as we got.
The 30.7-kilometre uninterrupted Spout Path / Motion Path combination is definitely intimidating at this rate. Two days in, we’ve managed to walk about a kilometre – on flat pavement! But right now, it’s not about putting distance behind us – it’s a matter of establishing a routine that Amélie enjoys & looks forward to. Well. That’s what we tell ourselves anyways… 🙂
AMÉLIE’S PROGRESS (DAY-BY-DAY)
- 0.150km (Our house to Alder Hill)
- TODAY: 1km (Alder Hill to Bears Cove Inn)
- Amélie’s total progress: 1.15km/316km
- Distance walked by the adults today: 2.3km
- Total distance traveled by foot: 2.6km
- Total time invested today: 1 hour (includes prep, driving/walking to hike’s starting point, total time on the trail, and the drive/walk back home).
- Total time invested in the effort: 2.25 hours