BEARS COVE INN TO TOBIN MEMORIAL
Walking from the Bears Cove Inn to the trailhead is relatively painless. Once at the trailhead, we get Amélie to hug the signpost bearing the distances to be overcome. She’s puzzled, but she complies. We get her to hug the next few markers too, trying to establish a ritual she can look forward to.
Five minutes in, Amélie asks to be picked up, but we explain that when we pick her up we have to turn back. She doesn’t really understand, but she happily walks some more, insisting on holding both her dad’s and my hand.
Progress is slow, but Amélie’s happy to be outside. Évangéline is sleeping soundly, bundled up in her carrier.
We manage to hike up to young Tobin’s memorial marker, which is about one kilometre into the trail. Amélie sniffs the plastic flowers and points to the letters on the epitaph. Séb tells her about the little boy who died here a long time ago, and explains that the metal cross was placed here by someone who loved him so that people would think about him a little bit each time they see it. Visibly puzzled by the explanation, she gives the cold cross a hug, then curls up at its base to admire the flowers from up close.
The hike back to the trailhead is lightning fast, with Amélie in Séb’s arms.
- 0.150km (Our house to Alder Hill)
- 1km (Alder Hill to Bears Cove Inn)
- TODAY: 1.65km (Bears Cove Inn to Tobin Memorial)
- Amélie’s total progress: 2.8km/316km
- Distance walked by the adults today: 3.3km
- Total distance traveled by foot: 5.6km
- Total time invested today: 1.5 hours (includes prep, driving/walking to hike’s starting point, total time on the trail, and the drive/walk back home).
- Total time invested in the effort: 3.75 hours